Southern Queensland Correctional Precinct
Video surveillance for 300-bed men’s prison at Gatton in Southern Queensland, Australia.
The State Government of Queensland, Australia is constructing a new correctional precinct at Gatton in Southern Queensland. A 300-bed high-security correctional centre is currently being constructed as part of the first stage of the precinct’s development. This is the first phase of construction at this precinct, which will continue to be developed to meet the increasing demand for secure correctional accommodation, and is expected to finally house 3500 prisoners. SAAB Technologies Australia Pty Ltd is the electronic security solution provider. The CCTV solution was designed to utilise both the VMX management products and the MPX edge devices from Teleste Video Networks. The Teleste equipment was delivered through Teleste’s Australian partner company Optical Solutions Australia (OSA).
The CCTV element of the security solution comprises a hybrid collection of analogue and IP cameras, more than 400 in total. The video data is displayed in multiple control rooms, as well as being recorded simultaneously with the audio devices in use. The system includes more than 375 terabytes of online video storage.
- To provide a standards-based, future-proof, flexible, robust and fully integrated security system.
- To offer an open technical support service.
- To provide automated failover systems (redundancy).
- To embed a software decoding engine into the SAAB security management platform.
Solution to customer’s need
- Teleste, OSA and SAAB designed and developed this comprehensive CCTV security system.
- The CCTV solution was designed to utilise both Teleste’s VMX management products and its MPX edge devices.
- The Teleste equipment was delivered through Australian partner company Optical Solutions Australia (OSA).
- The SAAB product is the integrated security management platform, which delivers the unified user interface for all the disparate parts, which include intercommunications and public address, access control, perimeter fence alarms, CCTV and others.
- The CCTV element of the security solution comprises a hybrid collection of analogue and IP cameras, more than 400 in total.
- The video data is displayed in multiple control rooms, while also being recorded simultaneously with the audio devices in use.
- The system includes more than 375 terabytes of online video storage.
- OSA was responsible for designing and supplying the data network for the whole facility, and took on the role as the conduit through which the IP camera vendor had their products integrated into VMX.
- The Security Master Control System involves the integration of sub-systems and sensors including:
- The Security Management System network.
- Intruder alarms with active end-of-line monitoring.
- An electric locking system.
- CCTV cameras, recording platform.
- Digital audio recording.
- Biometric identification (fingerprint and iris scanner).
- Key safes.
- Number plate recognition.
- Perimeter intruder detection systems.
- Fixed and mobile duress alarms.
- An intercom/PA system.
- Contraband detection.